Here is a repository i use on my gutsy install which always contains the latest builds of Pidgin and Rhythmbox. So no more hunting for debs or compiling sources 😀
Steps to add the repository:
1. Open Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)
2. Type “gksuÂ gedit /etc/apt/sources.list”
3. Go to the end of the file and add the following onto a new line:
## Latest Pidgin/Rhythmbox
deb http://www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu gutsy main
4. Save the file and close Gedit.
5. Add the public key so that apt does not complain about any authentication errors (type into terminal):
wget http://www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu/937215FF.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add –
6. Update your system (type in terminal)
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
7. Voila! You should now have the latest Pidgin and Rhythmbox!